Tuesday, August 9, 2011

What Do You Want to Know About?

In all of my posts so far, I have talked about my day-to-day life as a LIGO scientist (which is the point of the blog after all).  That means I tell you about the things I think are interesting (otherwise I wouldn't be writing about them).

This time, I would love you hear from you!  What do you want to know about?  I can tell you more about becoming a scientist, answer questions about my research or general questions about LIGO and gravitational waves - whatever.  Let me know what you want know!


Post what your interested in as a comment below or tell me on Twitter @livingligo.


Below is a picture of me in my office not two seconds ago as seen from my laptop's webcam:

Bye!

10 comments:

  1. You look like a nice kid? I love cosmology and physics but understand very little about it. What are gravitons, in simple terms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great question and I'll write about it in my next post!

    And thanks for the compliment on my age; that always makes a woman's heart melt. Unfortunately my calendar doesn't lie and I'm a bit older than I look :)

    Please keep the questions coming! I will be happy to answer all that I can in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am curious if any "spin-off" discoveries are expected from the discovery of gravity waves... (i.e. exotic objects, new cosmological theories etc)

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the twitter feed it says LIGO/you look for space-time ripples; is that something that occurs naturally? If there was some kind of intentionally produced ripple effect (for time travel, maybe, or maybe just galaxy/universe disruption), would it be possible to tell that it was created by another being as opposed to a natural occurrence? Would it be possible to disrupt the universe with a big or chronic enough space-time ripple? I must know these things; tia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BDR: That is a great question! I will add it to the list and let you know when I answer it (although if you want to keep checking, that's alright with me too).

    ReplyDelete
  6. duhoc: I answered your question in today's blog post (http://stuver.blogspot.com/2011/08/q-what-are-gravitons.html)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I would like to know the following:

    Provided that gravity waves do exist, what would the consequence of one in us would be? would we fall down, for instance, or would our body distort its shape?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Romi-Z: That's a great question and I will put it on my list to answer it! I will also comment here when it is published so you don't miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is the graphic at the top of your blog, and how was it generated?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chris: Thanks for asking this! I should have talked about the banner image along time ago. Look for the answer in the future!

    ReplyDelete